Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tickets Suck!!!






I got a ticket today. And I have to say, this rates right up there in the top 10 things that suck.

Okay, here are the facts.

1. I was driving on the freeway (Hwy 280) towards Palo Alto.
2. I was driving in the passing lane (far left).
3. I got in that lane to pass a biker who entertained himself by doing a speed-up-slow-down dance.

The officer that pulled me over said I was doing 81 in a 65 mph zone. I have a hard time believing this because the car in front of me dived into the next lane to avoid being tracked. That action forced me to put on my brakes because I didn't know why the car swerved. I thought maybe the driver had one to many drinks or something in the road. Then in a distance I saw two motorcycle cops on the left shoulder and understood all. When I looked down at my speedometer, it read 62 mph.

Okay, me and my quiet-big-mouth told the cop this, the car diving part, which he had to have seen, not the drinking or debris stuff. That probably didn't help any. But I do know, he had to register my complete sincere incredulousness because he cracked a slight smile.

Of course, he could have been secretly laughing inside because the other driver was smooth enough to jerk his car out of the firing lane and let the next sucker take the hit. I'm not sure. Yet, even I'm laughing as I type because that joker was smooth. Dang It!

I was so startled when one of the motorcycle cops swung in behind me and turned his lights on. I literally scanned the right lane to see who he nabbed, then I realized, "Oh, he wants me." That fateful out stretched arm signaling for me to pull over and I still looked around to see if he really meant me. Can you believe that?

Yep. It was me. I was the only car in the far left lane. Drats!

Perhaps it was a slow day, the government needs more funds, which it does - desperately. I do know that I rarely have a cop sighting on that freeway. Perhaps, I've been lucky. I have seen police cruise it to go places not to stalk speeders. Whenever I have seen police sitting, it was for accidents on the 280 San Jose - Mountain View corridor.

Heck, perhaps all this happened due to my stomach growling at 1:30 PM. Doubt it. I wasn't hungry afterward or was that a side effect?

All I know is another one got it mid-day on a fairly empty freeway during the economy of pits.

You know, part of it still feels like a dream. When the ticket arrives, I will feel the next sting.


This wasn't me, but I feel their pain.

As facts go, the last ticket I had was 10 years ago. And that one was an assist too. There was a tall truck in front of me obscuring the light. He ran the yellow turning red that I could not see until I was into the intersection. Every orange moon I wished I fought that ticket. The evidence was on their film - the truck, the light, and me.

Oh well... I paid that bloody fine because I was moving to California in two weeks and the court date was in four.

I wonder... could this be a sign?

After the frustration of today's ticket, I started to return home and somehow ended up at the movie theater and watched 2 shows. The first movie, Pelham 1-2-3, was riddled with cops.

So, you know that wasn't going to do. After that flick finished, I patrolled for another. I boldly entered where I had gone before and received goosebumps again and wanted so more.

Everyone needs an escape every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment