Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Surreal Girala


Adolfo Antonio Girala


Abstract 96



I first discovered Adolfo Antonio Girala's work at a Palo Alto Art Festival back in 2004.  I still remember my reaction.  My husband and I casually stepped into artists tents stacked up like bumper to bumper traffic in New York City on a hot summer day.  One of Girala's paintings peaked out behind the dense layers of people touring the various artist booths.  I saw just enough to have a strong visceral reaction.  I was like a moth flying to the flame.  I made a straight line to his booth not even taking a glancing look at the other artists I passed along the way.

Girala's work has transfixing power.  It draws you in and makes you feel.  In this way, his work reminds me of Rothko, but with tactile quality.  Power of color + texture.  That's Girala.


Abstract Fish 40


Abstract 19


Abstract 82


Abstract - Fish 40

 

No comments:

Post a Comment