Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Artist Gaze - Jeff Owen

From Scrap to Marvel


Jack and Jill


I saw Jeff Owen's sculptures two and half years ago.  The ones I saw were modern kinetic theater.  I vowed to put his work on our collector's list.  Then an odd thing happened.  Owen's contact information went MIA.   


Owen's business card resurfaced yesterday... in a pocket of one of my husband's dress pants. He could not remember why he had it.  Today, I remembered. It all flooded back to me upon thorough exam of the card.  A couple of years ago, I stopped and awed at the enormous, calderesque, tightrope act styled mobiles on display.  I chatted with Jeff Owen on his creations, took his card, and gave it to my husband to carry since I traveled light that day - wearing a smoking red dress with no pockets and no purse.  That was the mistake.  I gave the card to the man to hold.  


It's hard not to like an artist who describes his technique as "brute force."  He forms his creations at-the-moment.  Owen's sculptures are also green.  He recycles scrap metal and forges it into 3D wonders.   


Owen is a versatile artist.  He paints too.  See more of his work here.   


Balancing Act


 
Garden Angel 


Horizons


Struggle III


Chief


Tao Bell


Oversize Load 
(Will look great in an a loft.)


Crossroads



No comments:

Post a Comment