Thursday, July 22, 2010

Artist Gaze - James Aarons

Art by Design

Dots and Spots


Ever thought about changing the design of your art?  Perhaps, you wanted to switch or re-weight the colors.  How about make it bigger? 

James Aarons' Dots and Spots art offers that flexiblity.  In fact, Aarons' invites you to become the co-creator of the finished design.

Each dot and spot is indepdently hung.  None of them are connected.  You choose how many dots and spots you want and the colors.  You create the design. Aarons just produces the materials.

The dots and spots are small to large circles that he engineered for easy hanging.  I saw his art at the 2010 Palo Alto Clay and Glass Festival.  It was big, graphic, and beautiful. 

I had not planned to stop at his booth, but my legs followed my eyes.  I stood in front of his work mesmerized, while attepting to figure out the hanging mechanism.  All of his circles were flat to the wall.  There were no visible protruding wall hanging apparatuses of any kind.  Aarons saw my admiration. He didn't walk over to talk to me until I left and came back in the space of 60 seconds.  Hey, I was intrigued. He asked if I needed help.  I said, "Sure.  How do you hang them?"  He said, "It's very simple.  Let me show you."  He took one of the dots off the wall and turned it over.  It was sheer genius.  The entire dot had a concealed rim.  Thus, the dot was hangable no matter how you turned it.  Talk about flexibility...

If you want to make your design larger, get more dots and spots.  If you need specific colors, request them.  If you need unusual sizes, he can customize that too. 

What you create is only limited by your imagination.


Dots and Spots Design Idea

At the festival, he was selling a similar Dots and Spots design to the one above for $500.

Here are installed examples of his art.










No comments:

Post a Comment