Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Artist Gaze - Mark Goudy

Petable Art



Mark Goudy is a Contemporary ceramic artist to watch.  On July 11th, I went to a Ceramics and Glass Art Festival and had the excitement of seeing this stellar artist.  

Goudy's art WOW factored every single person that passed his booth.  People had no problem encroaching each other's personal space to get a chance to pick up his work and touch it. 

The scene was analogous to little kids when they see a pooch.  They get excited and want to pet the furry critter.  This is precisely what happened at Goudy's booth.  And that is precisely why I call it petable.  You have to touch it.

The texture of his work feels silky soft like a baby's skin.

The moment I clapped eyes on his work I knew one was coming home with me or at least I hoped.  This would require some snazzy negotiation with the Admiral.  We really did not set a budget for collecting this year, because the bathroom remodels blew up the bank. Yet, I was determined to find money somewhere. 

I purchased this Burnished Form. 



This piece colors held me spellbound.  I walked away from Goudy's booth twice and came back.  I felt as if I saw this pattern before, then, I remembered. It is reminiscent of a galaxy I saw on nasa.gov Spring 2009.  I know that date because I was gathering space images for a film project. Today, I returned to that well and searched through NASA's ethereal collection of space images and found it.

Celestial Galaxy


Burnished Forms Collections

Burnished Form 1

Burnished Form 1 Detail


Burnished Form 2

Burnished Form 2 Detail


Vessel Collection

Vessel 1


Vessel 2



Vessel 2 Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment